Monday, October 11, 2010

Point of View: Facebook: It's on the way out

From: http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=81647

Oct. 12, 2010
Jade Mardirosian
Staff writer





Not even the intense script of "Social Network" could give the actual Facebook the needed resuscitation it is crying out for.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the movie, packed with intellectual, attractive ivy leaguers acting like pretentious jerks. What girl doesn't?

The dramatic and witty screenplay used to illustrate the history behind the makings of the great social phenomenon of our time was interesting to say the least; however, the networking site it depicted no longer bears the same enthusiasm.

Surfing the site, looking at status updates and tagged pictures of "friends" (many of whom I rarely talk to on a regular basis) barely grabs my interest anymore.

The art of Facebook "research" which I worked long and hard to craft is no longer a skill I am proud to have.
We all have that Facebook friend that floods our news feed, updating their status every two seconds to reflect whatever they are now currently doing or thinking.

Note to that obnoxious friend: Get a Twitter. That's what they are for.

Or better yet, the Facebook friend that has to comment on everyone's status or picture, usually in intervals of 17 seconds. Please get off Facebook, stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and do something productive in your own life, like deleting your Facebook account.

And please stop checking into places. If your friends want to know where you are in order to join in the fun, I promise, they'll ask. Then again, I guess it lets me know where not to be. So thanks.

As for the followers who find it necessary to post YouTube videos that have already been posted on 129 of my "friends'" walls, thanks, but I don't live in a hole.

I am well aware that they are climbing in our windows and snatching our people up.
Don't get me wrong. I still log on, sometimes multiple times a day.

Though this is usually when I am trying to avoid schoolwork in some capacity, not for a genuine interest to see what is up on the book.

Facebook definitely had its good run, but when your mom, uncle and friend's dog all have a Facebook account (each with about 43 friends), you know something is on its way out.

I'm sure Facebook will retain its steady friend base of 500 million plus users.

I on the other hand will be keeping my eyes peeled for the next big social networking site.

Will it be Twitter? I do tweet on occasion, but for some reason it just doesn't thrill me to read about what celebrities' and politician's assistants deem intriguing enough to fit into 140 characters.

I guess I'm waiting for the next Harvard geek to get annoyed enough that they don't have any friends and subsequently invent the next social networking site dedicated to creating millions of fabricated ones.

Jade Mardirosian is junior journalism major from Houston and a staff writer for The Lariat.

No comments: